Erik ten Hag is falling short of what he wants to achieve at Old Trafford. Securing a top-four finish in the Premier League and winning the Europa League will not be enough for a giant like Manchester United. They want more.
As the Daily Mail explains, the Dutch coach aspires to win the Premier League at Old Trafford… and for that, he plans a revolution. So much so that Erik ten Hag is considering getting rid of as many as 13 players this summer. A radical turnaround in his project.
This year, United has fallen far short of fighting for the title with Arsenal and Manchester City. They are fourth, 17 points behind Mikel Arteta’s Gunners… it’s too big a gap. In fact, as the English media explains, “humiliating defeats to Brentford, Manchester City and Liverpool were painful reminders of how much work still needs to be done by Ten Hag and his staff at Old Trafford”.
Players singled out by Ten Hag
- Anthony Elanga: The talent broke out as a great talent but has lost continuity over the months. There is a lot of interest in securing his signature, either on loan or on a permanent transfer.
- Eric Bailly: The former Villarreal man, on loan at Marseille, does not feature in the club’s plans.
- Alex Telles: On loan at Sevilla this season. His permanent departure will be sought in the summer.
- Harry Maguire: Although with Gareth Southgate’s England he has maintained his role, at United he has lost his place in the XI. He has cache in the Premier League.
- Aaron Wan-Bissaka: Ten Hag is targeting a new right-back to compete with Diogo Dalot and that leaves him out even though he has had minutes lately.
- Donny van de Beek: Since his arrival from Ajax, he has not taken off. His contract runs out in 2025 and even Ten Hag has not been able to get him back on track.
- Brandon Williams: The left-back has barely played five minutes in the League Cup this season. He has no place there.
- Anthony Martial: Will this be the year of his definitive exit? He has fallen far short of the expectations he raised when he arrived at Old Trafford from Monaco. It may be a sale to make cash.
- Facundo Pellistri: Everything points to the Uruguayan, who had minutes at Qatar 2022, renewing his contract … but will go out on loan to earn minutes.
- Amad Diallo: He has been on loan several times, but at Old Trafford they believe that the former Atalanta player is not yet ready for the first team.
- Victor Lindelof: Like Maguire, he has been left without a place in Manchester United’s XI.
- Phil Jones: His contract expires on June 30 and is not in Manchester United’s plans. Another central defender who will leave.
- Scott McTominay: Although he is having a remarkable 2023, Ten Hag has other plans for the midfield. And the Scotsman does not fit in them.