Democrats Reject Trump’s Newest Shutdown Offer

President Donald Trump offered today limited protections for so-called Dreamer immigrants in exchange for $5.7 billion to build his proposed border wall.

 

Even before his remarks Saturday, Democrats reject the offer as inadequate.

 

In a statement before Trump spoke Saturday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called the proposal “a compilation of several previously rejected initiatives, each of which is unacceptable and in total, do not represent a good faith effort to restore certainty to people’s lives.”

 

Democrats noted that the proposal would not offer as much certainty to immigrants who, under previously discussed plans, would have been legally protected for longer and could have had a path to citizenship.

 

“It is unlikely that any one of these provisions alone would pass the House, and taken together, they are a non-starter,” the California Democrat said.

 

Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin — the chamber’s second-ranking Democrat and one of the leading voices for the so-called Dreamers also said he “cannot support the offer as reported and do not believe it can pass the Senate.” He said he would join talks to “resolve all outstanding issues” on immigration after the government is funded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *